Saturday 15 September 2012

Almost gone

It was a very hot Monday afternoon on the 20th of August. Bel marito, bel bambino and I were going for a stroll in Malito. I was 35 weeks pregnant with the bella bambina and we decided rather then taking the route home we would continue the walk a little longer. In Malito there is a section of the road which has road works. They have been there for years and the once two way road becomes one way for a little tiny fraction. It is common sense to be one way as you can see there is no way for two cars.

We were walking and when we reached the road works we stopped to wave to the passing tractor. Bel bambino loves tractors and we were happily waving away. From the other direction I saw the Range Rover. We knew the driver. He was old and should't have been driving. He could hardly walk let alone drive. I think I called out to bel marito...I woke up screaming on the floor with a motionless bel bambino beside me. We had been hit, not sure how high or far we flew but not only were we hit by a SUV, we were thrown back onto thick iron fencing and gravel.

Thankfully I don't remember much else. This is a long story which I will tell you a little each day. It is hard to write, not emotionally but physically. If you read Italian here is one of many newspaper articles which is not quite accurate but much more accurate then a lot I have read.


10 comments:

Sarah Elizabeth said...

Mamma mia Leanne! What an ordeal. My heart skipped a beat when I read the first lines of your post. I'm so glad to see after reading the news article that you are all ok. My thoughts and prayers are with you and I wish you all a speedy recovery x x x

Carolina said...

Oh Leanne, my heart has gone out to you and your family since the 20th and i am so relieved to see you and your smiling again! I know you left the blog awhile ago and took a chance today to see if you might be back...Welcome back and thank you for sharing your story...Best wishes to all of you
Carolina

Canedolia said...

What a terrifying story! I hope the hospital are looking after you and the bambino, and that the bambina is doing well. Get better soon!

Leanne was in Italy now in Australia said...

Hi Sarah Elizabeth,
Thanks, it has been an ordeal but thankfully we all survived and are getting better. Hope your little Alba is well xx

Hi Carolina,
Thanks so much. The story is going to be long, not so good but it will end as well as possible.

Hi Canedolia,
The hospital was a rather horrific experience but thankfully we are out now!

Rosa said...

I could barely read this, it scares me so much. Un bacione a tutti xxx

Aloma said...


I have been reading your blog for a few years and I missed it so much.
I can hardly believe what happened to your family.
Can you please do a little update to let us know how you all are doing right now before you continue
All the best







Rachel said...

I haven't read your blog in a while, what a horrible accident! Glad you and your kids are okay, hope you all fully recover! Will this interfere with your plans to move back to Australia? Hope not.
Best of luck, Rachel

Leanne was in Italy now in Australia said...

Hi Scintilla, Grazie x

Hi Aloma,
We are getting better slowly but surely. Thanks xx

Hi Rachel, No way it will change our plans...makes us want to get there all the more!

Gil said...

I hope and pray that you are on your way to a speedy recovery by the time you read this. I haven't been checking your blog a religiously as I used to as when I kept seeing that you haven't posted I figured you had left Italy and were now in Australia! Praying your your family's speedy recovery.

Leanne was in Italy now in Australia said...

Hi Gil,
Thanks so much. We are still here but moving to Australia soon (we hope soon.)